[Zope] please explain the difference...

Peter Bengtsson peterbe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 19:12:21 EDT 2005

Zope isn't really a server. It's got some server elements but it's
core is around the storage and retrieval of data in a controlled
manner.
Plone is just a big bunch of well written scripts and templates and
images that is written inside Zope. Not too different from how
pgMyAdmin is a packaged solution on top of PHP.
The reason Plone refers to itself as a server is that some people
(like people who download the msi installer) don't understand and
don't need to understand the various layers of the end product. I
think it's good what Plone has done but, as your email proves,
sometimes people can get confused.

On 9/8/05, akonsu <akonsu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have been reading about zope and plone for a few days now, and i
> have a question that i could not find an answer to.
>
> i understand zope is a server, that is, it is a process in OS. from
> what i could gather from the documentation, plone is a cms built on
> top of zope. why then when i install plone for windows from an msi, it
> appears that plone is also a server that runs alongside zope server
> just on a different http port? in addition, why the plone
> documentation keeps referring to plone as a server, and is using terms
> such as "start plone" and "stop plone"? so, is it a CMS that runs on
> top of zope or is it aan its own server? i am totally confused...
>
> i hope this is the right list to post this kind of plone questions. if
> not, i apologise, and i would appreciate if you could redirect me...
>
> thanks for any clarifications in advance.

Peter Bengtsson,
work www.fry-it.com
home www.peterbe.com
hobby www.issuetrackerproduct.com