[Zope] High Traffic Zope Portal

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sat Sep 17 13:39:35 EDT 2005

Jeronimo Zucco wrote at 2005-9-16 15:09 -0300:
>The python processes occupied 100% of machines resources (cpu and
>memory), and the load average increased quickly. We evidenced that the
>problems had occurred before user authentication, only trying access the
>initial page of the Zope portal.

Use a profiler (e.g. my "ZopeProfiler") to find out
where the time is spent. Optimize the hotspots.

Furthermore, carefully check what pages, part of pages or
page resources (such as database query results) can be
cached. Use caching as agressive as possible.

Zope supports caching in many ways:

   *  setting HTTP cache headers such that an external cache
      (SQUID, Apache, ...) can intelligently cache pages

      --> HTTPCacheManager, "caching_policy_manager"

   *  caching parts of pages via the RAMCacheManager

   *  caching the result of relational database queries

   *  more caching types can be supported in your own
      products.

--
Dieter