[Zope] Apache/Zope port redirection basic questions...

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Sep 25 04:00:54 EDT 2005

On 24.09.05 21:45:45, seberino at spawar.navy.mil wrote:
> I made Apache redirect certain URLs to
> a Zope/Plone site on port 8280 and it works.
>
> (e.g. mysite.com/lef --> mysite.com:8280/lefiss)
>

> Question #1: I'm not sure now what is the need for Plone/Zope's
> Virtual Host Monster??? Apache seems to take care of
> proxying/redirection BY ITSELEF!?!?!?

That's right, but...

> Question #2: Zope/Plone site displays port 8280
> in the client browser..... If Apache tries to *hide*
> the redirection....why does Zope/Plone reveal the true port and how
> tell ZOpe/Plone to hide this fact again?

For exactly this you need the VHM, but not with the mapping-tab, but the
2 special URL-part VirtualHostBase and VirtualHostRoot.

For example this small example hides the port and redirects the person
viewing http://lsdbis:80 into the lsdbis subfolder

VirtualHost lsdbis:80>
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://lsdbis:8280/VirtualHostBase/http/lsdbis:80/lsdbis/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]
</VirtualHosst>

Andreas

--
That secret you've been guarding, isn't.