[Zope] Java vs Zope

David H bluepaul at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 3 21:23:06 EST 2006

Asad Habib wrote:

>> From my experience, Java development has been a lot faster when
>
> applications have middle to high level complexity. Since Java is
> inherently object-oriented, reusability is much easier to achieve then
> when using Zope. Also, Java has mature development and debugging
> environments and well organized API's. Zope is seriously lacking in
> this regard.
>
> Zope is good for building simple interfaces but any application that
> does data processing and requires session management should be left
> for Java. The closest comparison to Zope that I can think of is PHP.
>
> Again, this is just my opinion based on my own experiences.
>
> - Asad

Asad,

Python is also object oriented.  In python, x = 10 creates an object not
a simple type - if I recall the same is true in Java.

The comparison should first be between python and java.  I've used both
and prefer python.

The next compare should be between developement platforms for each: e.g.
Zope vs some java IDE.

Lastly, I think Zope is more than capable of handling "complex
applications" using external databases.  I've not run into a single
barrier doing this using Zope (other than fleeing braincells).

All best,
David