[Zope] Re: Need prof. tool for conversion html->pdf

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Thu Jun 22 04:50:41 EDT 2006

Tomasz Bielecki wrote:
> Greetings to all,
>
> my company is searching for a tool capable of producing good quality pdf's from page templates or documents on the fly.
> This tool should somehow integrate with Zope. It could be Zope/Plone product, python script or even shell script invoked by Zope. It can be commercial (and probably will be).
> I've searched the net, but found nothing that would met this requirements:
> * professional css conversion: pdf should look almost exactly like source document, all css properties should be handled
> * it should omit silently html elements, that are not supported (e.g. flash objects, applets) without crash or error
> * links should be active (clickable) in pdf
> * conversion of html forms to pdf forms would be nice to see
> * conversion from flash objects or java applets to static images (somehow) would be nice to see too
> * even putting flash objects into pdf was considered (i'm suspecting latest pdf format handles build-in flash, since adobe bought macromedia some time ago)
>
> Every help that i can get would be appreciated.

With all those requirements I believe that every help you can get will
be expensive ;-)

Many of your wishes are huge tasks. A project like that could easily run
into hundreds of hours.

Building a custom tool using reportlab is probably the most feasible
approach.

But most likely you should forget about Zope Plone compatibility and
just find a tool that can convert all html to pdf, and find one that can
be automated. Then make sure that your Plone output can be converted via
that tool.

This turned up many interesting tools:
http://www.google.dk/search?q=html+pdf+conversion

--