[Zope] ExternalMethod for exporting un-pickled Office files to the filesystem etc

michael nt milne michael.milne at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 06:34:13 EDT 2006

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has written or attempted to write a script which
would read through a site built using Zope and write all attached/uploaded
files (Word, PDF, Excel) etc to a filesystem location in an un-pickled
format. Therefore the files would be usable by their native application and
be accessible outside of Zope. The business logic behind this is to be able
to create, say once a day at night, a copy of all digital business assets
for extra back-up and recovery purposes in case of disaster. Also this would
be good for migration purposes if required.

If not, how long would it take to create such a script? I could probably
source a sponsor for it. I realise that it's best to do this at the
application level and at the moment this would be through Plone.

I've demoed all the Plone external storage products and also checked out
DirectoryStorage but all these store pickled files etc.

Thanks

--
michael