[Zope] catching shorter URLs

Ken Ara feedreader at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 8 13:17:23 EDT 2007

Aaron,

The Path Handler product
(http://www.zope.org/Members/NIP/PathHandler) is your
friend.

Normally, you would create a path handler called
'games' and point it to your display_game method. To
obtain the result you describe, you could move your
display_game code into index_html and test for a
path_to_handle, else display your 'real' index_html.

Have fun.

Ken

--- In zope at yahoogroups.com, Aaron Maupin <maupin at ...>
wrote:

> I'm trying to make pretty URLs for a game site I'm
developing, and due
> to the hosting environment I'm somewhat limited in
my Apache URL
> rewrites.  (I've tried the normal mod_proxy /
mod_rewrite rules and they

http://www.mydomain.com/display_game?title=game-title

> or any solution that allows me to query a relational
database for a game
> title so I don't have to create hundreds of objects
in Zope.

> The only idea I have now is to use a Virtual Host
Monster mapping to
> send visitors using the games.mydomain.com to a
folder that contains a
> custom standard_error_message that reads the request
object, figures out
> the game title, and queries the database.... but
that's really inelegant.

> Is there a way to inspect the request before Zope
starts traversing objects?

> Or any other ideas on how to accomplish what I want?
 I'm not new to
> Zope, but I basically use it as a container for
Python scripts and
> haven't delved too deeply into it otherwise... so I
may be missing