[Zope] Error starting zope - undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_AsEncodedString

John Schinnerer john at eco-living.net
Thu Jun 21 05:02:57 EDT 2007

John Schinnerer wrote:

> Andreas Jung wrote:
>>

>> --On 20. Juni 2007 21:58:18 -1000 John Schinnerer
>> <john at eco-living.net> wrote:
>>> Thanks...I have no idea how to do that unfortunately.
>>> This is the first time I've built python from source. I just followed
>>> the
>>> build instructions in the tarball and "it worked." At least, I have a
>>> working python 2.3 in the location I specified for "--with-python" when
>>> building zope.
>>>  From various list messages about this same error message I get that
>>> there is some mismatch involving UCS2 vs. UCS4 compiled pieces - if I
>>> grok correctly...?
>>
>> Right.
>>
>> If you install Python using
>>
>>  configure --prefix=/opt/python-2.4; make;make install
>>
>> and configure Zope using
>>
>>  configure --with-python=/opt/python-2.4/bin/python2.4; make; make
>> install
>>
>> you should never get into such trouble. Somehow your environment or setup
>> must be broken. Possibly you're installing Zope over an existing Zope
>> installation with possibly old zopectl/runzope files inside the 'bin'
>> folder
>> which won't be replaced by "make install". So check the "python"
>> configuration within your bin/zopectl|runzope files.
>
> Thanks again - the above is what I thought I did (matching the --prefix
> and the --with-python) - however somewhere I blew it somehow as the
> control files point to the wrong python.
> I'll try again and hopefully get it right. Thanks for the extra assist.

Well, I'm not crazy. I just rebuilt it all and triple checked that I
gave the matching --with-python when configuring the zope build. I did.
And, it did not get used...the zopectl and runzope files were created
with the default path (to the wrong python) anyhow!

So I fixed that manually, and now (after fixing some perms issues) it
starts up OK.

thanks again,
John S.

--