[Zope] Error starting zope - undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_AsEncodedString

Jürgen Herrmann Juergen.Herrmann at XLhost.de
Thu Jun 21 05:06:57 EDT 2007

On Thu, June 21, 2007 11:02, John Schinnerer wrote:

> John Schinnerer wrote:
>>

>> Andreas Jung wrote:
>>>

>>> --On 20. Juni 2007 21:58:18 -1000 John Schinnerer
the location I specified for "--with-python" when building zope.

>>> Right.
>>>
>>> If you install Python using
>>>
>>>  configure --prefix=/opt/python-2.4; make;make install
>>>
>>> and configure Zope using
>>>
>>>  configure --with-python=/opt/python-2.4/bin/python2.4; make; make
>>> install
>>>
>>> you should never get into such trouble. Somehow your environment or setup must be broken.
Possibly you're installing Zope over an existing Zope installation with possibly old
zopectl/runzope files inside the 'bin' folder
>>> which won't be replaced by "make install". So check the "python" configuration within your
bin/zopectl|runzope files.

>> Thanks again - the above is what I thought I did (matching the --prefix and the --with-python)
- however somewhere I blew it somehow as the control files point to the wrong python.
>> I'll try again and hopefully get it right. Thanks for the extra assist.
>
> Well, I'm not crazy. I just rebuilt it all and triple checked that I gave the matching
--with-python when configuring the zope build. I did. And, it did not get used...the zopectl and
runzope files were created with the default path (to the wrong python) anyhow!

did you really delete the existing files in your bin folder before installing zope again? these
files are NOT recreated!

regards, jürgen

> So I fixed that manually, and now (after fixing some perms issues) it starts up OK.
>
> thanks again,
> John S.
>
> --
> John Schinnerer, MA WSD

>> XLhost.de - eXperts in Linux hosting ® <<

XLhost.de GmbH
Jürgen Herrmann, Geschäftsführer
Konrad Adenauer Allee 43, 93051 Regensburg, Germany

Geschäftsführer: Volker Geith, Jürgen Herrmann
Registriert unter: HRB9918
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE245931218

Fon:  +49 (0)700 XLHOSTDE [0700 95467833]
Fax:  +49 (0)700 XLHOSTDE [0700 95467833]

WEB:  http://www.XLhost.de
IRC:  #XLhost at irc.quakenet.org

IRC:  #XLhost at irc.quakenet.org