[Zope] smart development & debugging

Roberto Scelzo robertoscelzo at yahoo.it
Mon Mar 26 04:30:29 EDT 2007

I have to thank you all for your valuable suggestions.

to aj:
> If you have the freedom to choose your Zope version:
>
>  - start with Zope 2.10 + CMF 2.1
>
>  - put your templates etc. into the filesystem using portal_skins
>
>  - use Zope 3 technology together with CMF: Zope 3 schema + formlib
>    for creating content-types, forms etc...
>
>  - avoid Plone if you really don't need it. Don't start with Plone
>   *just because it looks nice* and if you really need only a small
subset
>   of the Plone functionality...
>
> -aj

Yes, I do have the freedom to choose which Zope version to run on my
machines and I'm going to focus my attention on the setup you suggested.

to chris:
>One 'kickstart' way to get started with something that will build out
> a Zope environment in a repeatable way on UNIX (Linux/BSD/Mac/
> probably Solaris) is available at http://www.plope.com/static/misc/
> buildit_example-20070314-1.tgz.  It requires "buildit" at http://
> www.agendaless.com/Members/chrism/software/buildit/ .  We use this
> allow individual developers to have dev instances on their own
systems.

> - C

Thank you, I'll take a look at that too.

to Marco/Eric:
what you suggested is just what I was thinking about even if I still
have
to understand how to put together all your suggestions to provide a
comfortable
and painless development environment to my devs.
PAFlow looks really interesting to me since one of our projects
is directly related to the local PA.

Again, thank you all.
Roberto