[Zope] Zope threads and the GIL

Manuel Vazquez Acosta mva.led at gmail.com
Mon May 5 10:11:32 EDT 2008

Andreas Jung wrote:
> Then it should play nicely with Python. But keep in mind that thread
> switches can also be blocked by some thread without having the GIL locked.
> We've seen such situations were a thread had to perform complex regular
> expression matching operations. Obviously code in Python C extension is
> also able to lock up the Python interpreter until the result is being
> passed back to the Python interpreter.

Another Q: Is AccessControl GIL aware? I mean, this is probably the most
used component in Zope. Maybe a performance boost is experienced if
those checks can be made simultaneously.

Thinking harder, I realize that a tradeoff is in place: Objects can
change its security status (the security policy -- i.e, the security
object -- can be changed also, but is a weird use case, isn't it?). So
maybe write-lock is needed.

On the other hand, for objects with a high demand rate, which are kept
in memory, good results are to be expected.

CacheFu deals OK with Anonymous users, but a boost is to be expected for
authenticated users.

Best regards,
Manuel.