[Zope] can I use my existing twisted rpc app in zope.

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Sun May 3 11:39:53 EDT 2009

On 5/3/09 11:21 AM, Krishnakant wrote:
>> On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 20:16 -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
>> No, at least without doing "some work" (where "some work" is more than just
>> dropping your code into a directory and expecting Zope to pick it up and "serve
>> it out").  It will essentially be a rewrite, although maybe with some careful
>> coding you'd be able to reuse most of the existing code.
>
> Yes, that's exactly my point.  I don't mean that I would just drop the
> code into a folder and expect zope to do every thing write.
>
> My question was will I be able to re-use my published objects and their
> functionality by coding it in such a way that zope hosts the twisted
> based rpc server application I already have?

Likely no.

> This implies that my application core logic with the sets of Published
> API calls need not change but let's say I add the necessary things to
> make my app a zope product and still have it work as an rpc server?

The application you already have was probably written to an API that assumes
that the Twisted mainloop is running.  In "normal mode" under Zope, Twisted's
mainloop is not running.  I'm not even certain that if you use the Twisted HTTP
server support in Zope whether your application will run without modification.
Almost certainly if it did it would be "off to the side" unable to use Zope
authentication services, etc, because the server contacts your code directly
without indirecting through any Zope "ZPublisher" stuff.  The magic that makes
authentication services and so on work are basically all wrapped up in
ZPublisher.  In order to make use of them you'd need to rewrite your application
as a native Zope app.

> I had read somewhere that zope uses twisted, so I thought will my app be
> put into zope as a server product with of course the necessary additions
> to the package to make it a zope product.
>
> So is that possible?

Sorry, not in the way you've described.

- C