[Zope3-dev] Cool stuff!

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Tue, 04 Dec 2001 09:39:12 -0500

"Phillip J. Eby" wrote:

> I just looked through a few parts of the Zope3 CVS tree, and I must say
> it's looking mighty nice so far at the 50,000 foot level...  I especially
> like the Zope.Transaction package; it'll eliminate the need for my
> ZLite.Transaction hack.  Indeed, much of the package-level refactoring
> seems much more friendly to those of us who'd like to pick and choose the
> parts we use.  The Zope.Publisher and Zope.App.ZopePublication packages
> look cool too.
>
> Very nice configuration system, with meta-configuration, even.  Very
> awesome.  I can see how this will make it easier to create products that
> influence other products, although I'm not sure how the import order works
> out; haven't gotten that far just yet.  Nonetheless, this is all *really*
> impressive stuff.
>
> So far, the only thing that's been at all negative is that many of the
> 'IFooBarBaz' interfaces seem a little confusing as to what they do, in that
> their names don't seem very obvious or self-documenting, at least to
> me.

A lot got created in the last couple of weeks. They should have informative
doc strings that make them self documenting. If they don't, then
that needs to be fixed. Note too that at this early step, we are, to
some degree following XP tenents like "you aren't gonna need it" (YAGNI)
and "refactor mercilessly". This means that, in the near term, the
interfaces are highly subject to change. I expect that in a month or
two, things will be a lot more set.

We need to spend some time putting together framework documentation for the
individual frameworks so that you can see how the interfaces work in the
context of the frameworks.

Also note that we finally, after much debate, settled on naming all
interfaces with an initial 'I'. This was to make interfaces really
stand out, especially since we usually use class statements to
create interfaces, which aren't classes at all.

> But I promise that once I *do* figure out what they do, I'll try to
> suggest more evocative names.  :)  The interfaces in the tutorial could use
> improvement similarly; again if I can think of anything better I'll try to
> suggest naming conventions.
>
> P.S.  Speaking of naming, I still dislike "feature" as a term for interface
> implementations; various suggestions available on the "Feature" page of the
> ComponentArchitecture Wiki.  :)
>
> P.P.S.  You guys must've been *really* busy on this...  I'm really
> impressed.  The new stuff so far seems like a breath of fresh air where
> Zope internals are concerned.  Kudos!

Thanks!

Jim