[Zope3-dev] Re: Page Architecture: Term suggestions

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Dec 3 06:20:37 EST 2004

Paul Everitt wrote:
> Tonico Strasser wrote:
>
>> the Wiki is closed for comments, so I'll post it here.
>>
>> We could borrow terms from the W3C.
>>
>> e.g: Page ---> Document
>>      Pagelet ---> DocumentFragment
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-DOM-Level-3-Core-20040407/core.html#ID-1590626201
>

> +1 from me, as long as the resulting discussion about what we want
> remains consistent with the W3C definitions.

-1 from me

I don't think DOM Document and DocumentFragment are consistent with what
I perceive to be desired. Are there definitions of 'Page' and 'Pagelet'
somewhere?

The DOM core definition talks about XML trees. You can have a whole tree
(a Document) and part of a tree (a DocumentFragment). There are other
W3C recommendations that probably use different language. The whole
pagelet stuff I believe is far more about layout and presentation
concerns, something the DOM core is not about. I think it would be
confusing to use these DOM terms.

Regards,

Martijn