[Zope3-dev] Re: Page Architecture: Term suggestions

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Dec 3 06:52:21 EST 2004

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Paul Everitt wrote:
>
>> Tonico Strasser wrote:
>>
>>> the Wiki is closed for comments, so I'll post it here.
>>>
>>> We could borrow terms from the W3C.
>>>
>>> e.g: Page ---> Document
>>>      Pagelet ---> DocumentFragment
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-DOM-Level-3-Core-20040407/core.html#ID-1590626201
>>

>> +1 from me, as long as the resulting discussion about what we want
>> remains consistent with the W3C definitions.
>

> -1 from me
>
> I don't think DOM Document and DocumentFragment are consistent with what
> I perceive to be desired. Are there definitions of 'Page' and 'Pagelet'
> somewhere?

http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/UIPresentation

Here the definition of "Page" is implicit.

See also:

http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/PageArchitecture

> The DOM core definition talks about XML trees. You can have a whole tree
> (a Document) and part of a tree (a DocumentFragment). There are other
> W3C recommendations that probably use different language. The whole
> pagelet stuff I believe is far more about layout and presentation
> concerns, something the DOM core is not about. I think it would be
> confusing to use these DOM terms.

Well said. I agree.

Note that an important additional concern is the need to manage
resources (e.g. javacript libraries or tool bars) needed by
multiple components of a page.

Jim