[Zope3-dev] Re: Page Architecture: Term suggestions

Paul Everitt paul at zope-europe.org
Sat Dec 4 04:06:59 EST 2004

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Tonico Strasser wrote:
>
>> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> -1 from me
>>>
>>> I don't think DOM Document and DocumentFragment are consistent with
>>> what I perceive to be desired. Are there definitions of 'Page' and
>>> 'Pagelet' somewhere?
>>>
>>> The DOM core definition talks about XML trees. You can have a whole
>>> tree (a Document) and part of a tree (a DocumentFragment). There are
>>> other W3C recommendations that probably use different language. The
>>> whole pagelet stuff I believe is far more about layout and
>>> presentation concerns, something the DOM core is not about. I think
>>> it would be confusing to use these DOM terms.
>>

>> Im concerned about that we are going to reinwent things. A layout is a
>> XML document, isn't it?
>

> In my experience a "layout" is typically some HTML template + CSS +
> Javascript.
>
> Pagelet is a term that seems to be used in some Java (JSP) and Cold
> Fusion contexts, but I can't find much of a definition. Java does have a
> JSR on *portlets*, which is a related concept though I think broader
> than pagelets. If you don't want to reinvent things, they'd still be
> useful to examine, though:
>
> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-08-2003/jw-0801-portlet.html
>
> And the JSR itself:
>
> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=168

There's also the JavaServer "Faces" stuff:

"""
JavaServer Faces technology simplifies building user interfaces for
JavaServer applications. Developers of various skill levels can quickly
build web applications by: assembling reusable UI components in a page;
connecting these components to an application data source....
"""

Some URLs:

   http://java.sun.com/j2ee/javaserverfaces/index.jsp
   http://www.exadel.com/tutorial/jsf/jsftutorial-kickstart.html
   http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/tutorial/doc/JSFIntro.html

I have no experience with this whatsoever, just contributing to the list
of background information.

--Paul