[Zope3-dev] Re: Page Architecture: Term suggestions

Tonico Strasser contact_tonico at yahoo.de
Fri Dec 3 13:45:34 EST 2004

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Tonico Strasser wrote:
>
>> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> -1 from me
>>>
>>> I don't think DOM Document and DocumentFragment are consistent with
>>> what I perceive to be desired. Are there definitions of 'Page' and
>>> 'Pagelet' somewhere?
>>>
>>> The DOM core definition talks about XML trees. You can have a whole
>>> tree (a Document) and part of a tree (a DocumentFragment). There are
>>> other W3C recommendations that probably use different language. The
>>> whole pagelet stuff I believe is far more about layout and
>>> presentation concerns, something the DOM core is not about. I think
>>> it would be confusing to use these DOM terms.
>>

>> Im concerned about that we are going to reinwent things. A layout is a
>> XML document, isn't it?
>

> In my experience a "layout" is typically some HTML template + CSS +
> Javascript.

Ok, only the structure of the document being layouted is XML.

If I insert a fragment somewhere in the document structure, the layout
should adapt to the changes.

I feel now that this has nothing to do with Zope directly.

When we do stuff with ZPTs we are basically modifiyng XML structure.

Because todays user agents have not perfekt support for CSS based
layouts and HTML is originally not an UI language we work around with
extra markup and JavaScript.

This means that we want to be able to easily customize fragments of
markup at any level (e.g. the <head> element), and associate it with
spezial names - macros with their own namespace.

I think its up to the autor to say, this fragment is a pagelet or a
portlet or a zopelet ;)

[...]

>> We know that a XML document can be presented in many ways, not only as
>> a Web page.
>>
>> If we define a portlet, how can I imagine it? A thing that gives me
>> presentation -structure, -logic, -sytle and content?
>>
>> Is a portlet HTML only?
>

> Oh, now you do say portlet, not pagelet. What's the difference?

Er. I mean pagelet, sorry. The difference is explained here:
<http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/zope/app/pagelet/README.txt>

> I do not know what 'pagelet' or 'portlet' exactly means. I do know that
> XML documents and fragments are not the right terminology. They're
> low-level technical XML concepts that themselves do not have much to do
> with user interfaces, though of course DOM can be used to construct user
> interfaces.

I like the document centric point of view. If we talk about layout we
must reduce the scope of the discussion to a specific document type like
HTML. (HTMLlet, hmm...)Oo. ?:-)

Tonico