[Zope3-dev] Portlets vs Pagelets

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Mon Dec 6 17:34:48 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> To reiterate my earlier observation, we already have a number of
>> page-construction facilities/patterns. What are the major problems
>> with the current system that need to be addressed?
>
> How do the current patterns deal with shared resources?
>
> For example, if we have five widgets that all share the same
> javascript code, we'll get 5 copies of that code.  It's
> even worse for pagelets with needed visable resources like
> tool bars.

Re JavaScript, I currently handle this with a template + super class
that knows about 'head content'. Duplicate content is avoided.

How does Gary handle this in his widgets that use JavaScript (or CSS
resources)? If we ever bring those widgets over, we'd have a first-pass
solution.

Re visible resources like toolbars, I'm not following you. Would an
example be a toolbar that controlled the formatting of a rich text
widget but could be placed anywhere on the page (i.e. the widget is
displayed in chunks that the page designed can position)?

It seems that widget 'labels', 'tooltips', and 'errors' might fit your
'visible resource' category, if I'm guessing right.

 -- Garrett