[Zope3-dev] Portlets vs Pagelets

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Dec 7 09:59:27 EST 2004

Garrett Smith wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>Garrett Smith wrote:
>>
>>>To reiterate my earlier observation, we already have a number of
>>>page-construction facilities/patterns. What are the major problems
>>>with the current system that need to be addressed?
>>
>>How do the current patterns deal with shared resources?
>>
>>For example, if we have five widgets that all share the same
>>javascript code, we'll get 5 copies of that code.  It's
>>even worse for pagelets with needed visable resources like
>>tool bars.
>

> Re JavaScript, I currently handle this with a template + super class
> that knows about 'head content'. Duplicate content is avoided.

Cool. That's the sort of thing I'm talking about.  I'd like to see if
we can come up with some standard mechanisms for this sort of thing.

> How does Gary handle this in his widgets that use JavaScript (or CSS
> resources)? If we ever bring those widgets over, we'd have a first-pass
> solution.

He doesn't have a solution for this.  He has a single JS library that
he just references from his templates.

> Re visible resources like toolbars, I'm not following you. Would an
> example be a toolbar that controlled the formatting of a rich text
> widget but could be placed anywhere on the page (i.e. the widget is
> displayed in chunks that the page designed can position)?

In particular, for something like EPOZ or Kupu, people
(tell me they) want to have multiple editing areas
(e.g. separate areas for comments and body) and have
the areas share a single toolbar.

> It seems that widget 'labels', 'tooltips', and 'errors' might fit your
> 'visible resource' category, if I'm guessing right.

A common (shared) error area might fit. I would expect widgets
to have their own labels and tooltips.

Jim