[Zope3-dev] Portlets vs Pagelets

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Tue Dec 7 13:58:49 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
>
>> The problems raised in these goals are easily solved if the logic is
>> moved to python and why would you want to hard-code a UI? I am more
>> inclined to a Visual (C++, Basic) approach with UI widgets assembled
>> together than using some hardcoded template no matter if it is a
>> webpage that is being designed or a portal. I am sure that some users
>> need to update the webpage without having to learn page templates,
>> don't they?
>

> FWIW (and so you don't have to keep repeating yourself ;), I think
> you're on the right track.

OK :-) I thought the old approach was still somehow being advocated.

> Perhaps you might want to make some specific proposals, based on your
> experience with CPS Skins.
>
> Jim

My experience with the work that I am currently doing for the
university, to compare with the use cases listed on the Wiki is the
following.

- the university hires a design agency and explains the function that
the site should fulfill with a list of the various target groups
- a web design agency creates screens in pdf (mock-up)
- web designers create dummy content with CPS3 (tree-like sections and
publish documents in the sections)
- first implementation with CPSSkins (prototype  - 1 or 2 days of work)
- the design (theme) is applied on the content - the first variation had
10 different themes.
- test with real users (10 - 20 users) on a test instance (no
optimization, caching is necessary)
- feedback from the users about the colors, layout, etc...
- adjustments: the web agency create a new design based on the feedback
from the test users, etc.
  uses the live prototype as a basis for the new design. The new version
is accepted after some modifications, a new PDF is created.
- second implementation with CPSSkins - this time with the exact colors,
exact page layout, etc.
  the workflow is: create the palettes (colors, borders) > upload the
icons/images > create the styles > create the layout > add templets to
the layout > add page slots > add portlets > you have a theme
  the same theme is then duplicated into different flavours (front page,
second-level pages, variations on colors, etc..). XML import/ export
works too for palettes, styles, images...
- the themes are installed on a beta site (profiled, optimized), then
placed on a production server.

the advantage is that CPSSkins is used for prototyping, for design, for
testing and for production so there is no conversion from PDF to HTML to
ZPT. No programming is required, and for special things we use the
'Custom Portlet' that can render any page template (in
portal_skins/custom/) which makes testing very easy. It also makes it
easier for the design agency to see a design in action early in the process.

regards /JM