[Zope3-dev] There's something wrong with having message ids in schemas

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Dec 7 18:32:11 EST 2004

I'd like to use a schema in zope.index.  But, if I do,
I'll need to make the field titles and descriptions message ids.
This has two problems:

1. It makes zope.index depend on zope.i18nmessageid

2. It forces me to pick a domain, which seems wrong.

We've known for a while that title and description
where a little iffy. Title and description are useful
for documentation and presentation.  The documentation
benefits probably justify having a title and description,
however, doc strings might do as well.  Sometimes, we want
to use a label that is different than the field title.

OTOH, there's a lot to be said for the convenience of
having this information in the schema.

I wonder if there are some other ideas we should consider.

For example, I wonder if there is some sort of prsentation
component that we could provide for schemas that could
capture UI details like default widgets, labels (message ids),
order, etc.

Thoughts? I'm just brainstorming. :)

Jim