[Zope3-dev] RE: [ZODB-Dev] Solution to unit test errors: "Connection refused" AND"could not load package"

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Thu Jan 1 18:28:37 EST 2004

[David Harris]
> After 6 days of struggling to get the unit tests for MileStone4 to
> run on Windows XP, I finally succeeded.
>
> I tracked down to a single character in src/zodb/zeo/schema.xml. The
> line:
>
> <import package="zodb/zeo"/>
>
> should be
>
> <import package="zodb.zeo"/>

Good sleuthing!  Thank you for the followups too.

> That's why the "could not load package zodb/zeo" exception occurred.
> The 'Connection refused' errors naturally followed because the server
> was never started.
>
> A question for the ZConfig experts: why doesn't the '/' present
> problems for *nix machines?

I don't know, but I'm not a ZConfig expert, and haven't tried the Zope3
tests for a long time either.  I'm not sure anyone runs the Zope3 tests
routinely on Windows anymore (I used to), and when that happens, I'm afraid
Windows-specific glitches do accumulate.  They're usually shallow (to fix,
if not to find <wink>).

One caution, from a different email:

    'And why does Zone Alarm keep asking if I want to allow
    python to be a server?'

You really want to get a hardware firewall.  They're cheap now.  Socket
operations are slower on Windows than on Linux under the best of conditions,
and ZoneAlarm makes socket traffic (all socket traffic, even confined to
localhost) grossly slower.  I don't trust ZoneAlarm under heavy load,
either -- when I was running it, it was implicated in several  heavy-load
failures that could only be explained by corrupted packets, and in many
cases of sockets appearing to just freeze up.  I haven't seen those since
getting a HW firewall and turning ZoneAlarm off.