[Zope3-dev] Object hub?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jan 2 10:46:45 EST 2004

Anthony Baxter wrote:

>>In general, indexes would use an unnamed utility to manage short
>>(integer) ids for objects. Similarly, querying apps would use the
>>utility to resolve short ids to objects for generating query results.
>>IOW, these applications would work the same way they do now, exept
>>that they would get the hub utility rather than the hub service.
>

> Has any work been done on making utilities easier to set up? In particular,
> adding help text and the like in the site management folders. Last time I
> looked, it's one of those things that you either know how to do it, or
> you're going to have to ask - there's no chance of figuring it out yourself.

I', not sure what you saw last.  I know that there's *lots* of room for
improvement.

Here's how you (a site manager) create a utility:

- You add the desired object (e.g. an object hub) to a folder

- After the add is done, you are taken to the object's registration
   tab. There you are told that the object isn't registered and that it
   needs to be registered before it can be used.  You can click on a button
   and go to a screen that is too confusing but with a submit button that
   takes you to a page where you fill in some information.

The second part has a very crufty UI that is waaay more confusing that
it should be.  Fixing this is technically easy to do, but no one has
expressed interest in working on it. Perhaps this is something we can do
at the OzZope sprint in February.

Jim