[Zope3-dev] Need UI defect advice

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Jan 10 10:39:25 EST 2004

Dave Harris wrote:
> I've gotten near the root of one of the UI defects I'm chasing down, but the
> number of items involved is testing my ability to understand how things
> should work. If anyone can advise me on what really is supposed to be
> happening, I would greatly appreciate it. (BTW, by the time you read this, I
> may have even more questions. My postings have been getting hung up for two
> days at a time for moderator review.)

Hm, this got through. Maybe postmaster fixed something. :)

> Platform: Windows XP, Python 2.3.3, Zope3 from CVS
>
> The defect is easy to reproduce. Go to http://localhost:8080/manage. Click
> on Manage Process. On the Manage Process page, click on Introspector. A
> sparse page will appear which says simply 'A system error occurred.'
>
> Question #1: Is the Introspector link supposed to be on the Manage Process
> page?

I wouldn't be surprised by anything on the Manage Process page.  This is
mostly a placeholder for something that will work and be useful when someone
takes the time to finish it.

It has the added complication that it isn't in the root site and, therefore,
can't get to the local services in the root folder. We should find a way to
disable the introspector for the process managers, as it doesn't make sense there.

> Question #2: Is the TypeError exception supposed to untrapped as a matter of
> convenience?

Not sure what you mean by "trapped". All errors are trapped by the publisher.
They are displayed using whatever view has been registered for them. The
default view for errors just says that the sire is broken, which it is. :)

> Question #3: Should a unit test be written for this incident?

The first thing is to decide what we want. I'd be happy to disable the
intrspector there.

> The TypeError exception is accompanied by the message: "There isn't enough
> context to get URL information. This is probably due to a bug in setting up
> location information."

That's because the process manager is not in the root folder.  It's
(necessarily) weird that way.

Note that the process manager is intentionally outside the root folder.
That's to allow us to do some things (like eventually being able to undo
transactions) without having to go through the root folder, which could
be dead.

> Question #4: _Should_ I be looking for a bad location setup (whatever that
> is)?

No.

> I'm wondering at this point if I'm flinging otters.

"Flinging otters"?  One I find out what this means, I gotta start
using it. :)

 > If the 'System Error'
> page is expected and acceptable, then there is no defect.

System Error *always* indicates a defect.

 > If the
> Introspector link is not supposed to be on the Manage Process page, that
> would eliminate one path into the IntrospectorView class.

Yup.

Jim