[Zope3-dev] ZODB or zodb

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Sun Jan 11 19:54:20 EST 2004

[Mark McEahern]
>>> Seems likely that there's some migration from zodb --> ZODB that I
>>> landed in the middle of?  Because the reason that import is failing
>>> that the name of the zodb package in the sources I got is ZODB not
>>> zodb.  Merely renaming that folder only results in a different
>>> error.  Seems like I should probably use a milestone release instead
>> of current CVS?

[Fred L. Drake, Jr.]
>> Yikes!  We didn't think about this problem.
>>
>> This is likely a matter of concern only for Windows users
>> (unfortunately including Cygwin).  The "zodb" package will be removed
>> when we're done with our changes on the zope3-zodb3-devel-branch.
>> They aren't done yet.  ;-(
>>
>> The trunk of Zope 3 should continue to work without problems for Unix
>> and Linux users.  I don't know what the status is on Mac OS X; it
>> probably depends on the filesystem being used on that platform.

[Jim Fulton]
> As a work around, I suggest removing the ZODB directory after running
> make.

Nobody explained what they believed the real cause was.  This is my belief:
Windows is case-insensitive, and Zope3's src directory now contains
subdirectories with names that differ only in case ("zodb" and "ZODB").  The
way Windows works, you're going to *end up* with a single subdirectory.
It's unpredictable which name it's going to have.  Mark reported that he
ended up with "ZODB", and on my box I ended up with "zodb".  It (and, e.g.,
its subdirectory "btrees" (on my box -- possibly "BTrees" on Mark's))
contains the union of the files from CVS's zodb and ZODB subtrees.  For
files of the same name in both CVS subtrees, it's also unpredictable which
subtree's version you end up with.

I don't think there's an easy fix for this so long as both directories exist
in CVS.  It's not possible for CVS update to reach a steady state, either.
For example, I try updating once and get

cvs server: src/zodb/tests/ReadOnlyStorage.py is no longer in the repository

and the next time I cvs up it fetches that file again, seesawing between
those behaviors on subsequent update attempts.

Alas, that's not the end of it.  I'm already getting scads of
"incomprehensible" CVS whines like:

CVS.EXE update: move away src/ZODB/FileStorage/fsdump.py; it is in the way

and prior experience says those only get worse when one of the
identical-disregarding-case names ends up in the Attic.

This would be a good time to drop Windows <wink>.