[Zope3-dev] RFC: Unification of requests and security contexts through Use

Sidnei da Silva sidnei at awkly.org
Fri Jan 16 16:58:05 EST 2004

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 03:50:23PM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:

| Yesterday, Steve and I came up with some ideas for:
|
|   - Improving the management of security contexts
|
|   - Conceptually unifying security and presentation.  This isn't something
|     we set out to do, but rather something that became apparent in our
|     discussions.
|
| See:
|
|   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/UnificationOfRequestsAndSecurityContextsThroughUse

It looks pretty good IMHO, specially for removing the lookup of the
security context. One thing hat I would like to see is a more detailed
description of the lifecycle of a use. eg: how it is registered, when
it is created, if a Use can be shared between proxies, etc.

If I understand correctly, a Use is the equivalent of a security
context? I wonder if it could help on improving the lookup of
principal roles for example. Currently, roles are looked up several
times (sometimes 40+) per request, per location.

| In explaining this to some folks here at ZC, there was quite a bit of
| discussion
| about terminology.  The most controversal aspect of which was the continued
| use
| of "request" as a name for an actor's participation, at least in a browser
| context.

What other suggestions there were?

--
Sidnei da Silva <sidnei at awkly.org>
http://awkly.org - dreamcatching :: making your dreams come true

<lilo> Fairlight: udp is the light margarine of tcp/ip transport protocols :)
	-- Seen on #Linux