[Zope3-dev] RFC: Unification of requests and security contexts through Use

Steve Alexander steve at z3u.com
Sun Jan 18 14:46:22 EST 2004

> I'm lost, FWIW.  I'm not sure why the concept of a request is not
> sufficiently general to accomodate the interaction of one actor or a
> collection of actors with the system.

The request does not let us express different actors who are involved
with a particular "happening" in the system via different routes.

> IOW, I'm not sure why we need to make the distinction between a security
> context, a request, and a use.

A request (as currently in Zope 3) tells us about a single actor talking
to the system via one channel of communication. This does not allow us
to express that another actor is involved because that actor wrote some
code that is being executed by the first actor.

> They all seem like the same thing to me.

In a way, they are all the same thing. The proposal describes taking
various parts of the presentation and security systems, and putting them
together in a box called "a use". The "use" acts as a security context,
and contains principals and requests.

--
Steve Alexander