[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Documentation and Quality Assurance

Brad Bollenbach bradb at bbnet.ca
Sun Jan 18 17:21:07 EST 2004

Hi all,

I've been meaning to write something like this for a while, but have
been put off for fear of sounding like a nitpick. I now realize that
I'm not alone in my opinion on this, and that something really must be
done. I've already discussed this issue with some members of the core
development team on IRC, but I realize a post to the mailing list will
reach a much wider audience.

The documents on the Zope 3 Wiki (i.e. proposals, vision statements,
cookbooks, etc.) are in a relatively sad state with respect to editing.
I read almost all the new proposals that are linked from the mailing
list, and it's all too common to find them containing half a dozen to a
dozen spelling errors each, which in the best case just makes them a
bit more difficult to read, and in the worst case actually obscures the
author's intent or causes the HTML that is output to break in some
browsers, leaving half the document unrendered. (I can provide examples
of each problem, if more concrete references are required.) In any
case, IMHO, this can only reflect poorly to potential users of Zope 3.

The Pope himself has emphasized the focus on making Zope 3 really great
software, rather than trying to push a production release ASAP, so the
documentation that does get written (the proposals, the cookbook, and
other related Zope 3 Wiki documents) *must* follow the same
high-quality standard. To achieve a documentation standard that matches
the coding standard, I propose the following:

1. For document writers, please give due concern to editing the content
you write.

An extra 10-15 minutes spent to spellcheck, grammar check and format
check (e.g. Should this be a bulleted list or a numbered list? Has the
document in question been "chunked" into good paragraphs? Are there
places where 15 words are used to explain what 5 could have done more
clearly? Or vice versa? etc.) will make a much more pleasant experience
for those who read your proposals, recipes, and thoughts on the future
direction of Zope. All of these are documents that get referred to
again and again (even if a proposal is only to remind core developers
of why it ended up getting rejected. :)

2. The obvious one: document readers, please correct any obvious
spelling, grammar, or formatting mistakes as soon as you spot them.

Please offer suggestions for ways in which you feel a concept could
have been more clearly explained, because rest assured, you're probably
not the only one who got confused. :)

3. Perhaps an official "Documentation QA Team."

Ideally this would consist of at least one or two technical editors as
close to the core as possible, and one or two non-technical editors.
Also, again ideally, the documents that will get posted to the Wiki
would pass under the eyes of the editing/doc QA team before being
published on the Wiki.

I'm a Python developer, but not currently active in Zope 3 core
development itself, but I'm more than happy to do non-technical
editing. I could even be the self-appointed leader of this editing
team. I'd welcome emails from people reading the available
documentation, even if just to say "Brad, I've noticed <some wiki
document> contains quite a few mistakes, could you clean it up when you
have a minute?" and just let me do the rest. This also means that if QA
starts slipping on the documentation, I could officially accept the
blame. :) And finally, it would mean that if you submit content to the
Wiki without having it first edited, you'd probably *ahem* get an email
from me. :)

When it comes to documentation, words are all we've got; please choose
them carefully.

Comments and feedback, as always, are welcome.

Regards,

--
Brad Bollenbach
BBnet.ca