[Zope3-dev] Introduction and very-high-level question

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Jan 19 17:30:54 EST 2004

Dave Harris wrote:

> And now a comment/question. As I stumble around the construction site
> known as Zope3, I'm constantly flummoxed by the number of places I have
> to look to find something.

I'd be interested in hearing about specific cases where you had to look
in too many places or other things you found confusing.

Did you lool at the tutorial?

 > I'm in the early stages of forming a mental
> map (which seems to have 'lots of twisty little passages, all alike'),
> so I realize that the 'clicking' point is still to come. But much of
> what I see reminds me of the C++/Java/Delphi object-oriented inheritance
> trap where enlightenment arrives only when you have understood the
> base-base-base class. Rhetorically speaking - is this complexity the
> price to be paid for flexibility?

I hope not.  I don't think so.  It's a worthwhile question.

> Practically speaking, is the grand design of Zope3 meeting
> everybody's/somebody's expectations?

Aside from the schedule, it's meeting mine. :)

 > Will it be sprouting still further
> offshoots  or is it due for a pruning?

I'm not sure what you mean by offshoots.

We're in a time of major restructuring, cleaning and pruning now.
For example, the component model has become simpler in many ways.
We are eliminating many services as we consolidate the various
component types.

We are also beginning (or planning) to move a lot of code out of zope app
to simplify the core.

 > The recent retirement of
> zope/context makes me wonder how much of the code base is experimental
> and/or deadwood.

Hm, If I had to guess, I'd say, perhaps 20%.  Maybe there's another 20%
that's not critical. <shrug>

 > I'm not looking for arguments or justifications - I
> really wouldn't be able to understand most of it right now. I'd simply
> like to get a feel for the entropy level - will Zope3 be getting bigger
> or smaller?

For some definition of Zope 3, I'd say it will get smaller.  Hopefully, this
will create an environment that makes the Zope 3 universe much bigger.

Jim