[Zope3-dev] Calling persistent function

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jan 22 09:46:43 EST 2004

Casey Duncan wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 06:30:43 -0500
> Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> [..]
>
>>I should add that I'm open to suggestions as to how they should
>>be used.  Some other notes:
>>
>>- It will eventually be possible to use them via the zpt module
>>   namespace:
>>
>>   modules/foo.bar/myfunc
>

> How is security spelled? Would we need persistent ZCML? ;^) Doing the
> declarations on the filesystem doesn't make too much sense to me.

This is still being worked out, but, at a high level, it will work like this.

For a module to be usable via import from zpt, the module will have to be
registered.  There will be a UI for doing this interactively. The
registration will include information about the names that can be accessed
and the permissions required.

>>- It will be possible to access utilities in zpt, although
>>   we haven't figured out a syntax yet.  It will be possible to
>>   register persistent modules as utilities.
>>
>>- I'm in favor of something like Evan Simpson's PythonLibraries:
>>
>>     http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2003-September/020429.html
>>
>>   This would be like a persistent module that you could add to
>>   content space.
>

> What would be the reason to support both? Aren't persistent modules more
> general?

Persistent modules are software.  IMO, there is a need for "active content".
Software is relevent to an entire site or system. Active content is much more
specific.  For example, someone might need some Python code to support
presenting some specific information.  I see PythonLibraries as the much more
pythonic successors to "Script (Python)".

See:

   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/SiteScripter

Jim