[Zope3-dev] Calling persistent function

Casey Duncan casey at zope.com
Thu Jan 22 10:17:31 EST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:46:43 -0500
Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

> Casey Duncan wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 06:30:43 -0500
[..]
> >>- I'm in favor of something like Evan Simpson's PythonLibraries:
> >>

> >http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2003-September/020429.html>
> >>   This would be like a persistent module that you could add to
> >>   content space.
> >

> > What would be the reason to support both? Aren't persistent modules
> > more general?
>
> Persistent modules are software.  IMO, there is a need for "active
> content". Software is relevent to an entire site or system. Active
> content is much more specific.  For example, someone might need some
> Python code to support presenting some specific information.  I see
> PythonLibraries as the much more pythonic successors to "Script
> (Python)".
>
> See:
>
>    http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/SiteScripter

If it were up to me (and it isn't) I would be inclined to punt on this
until Zope 3.1. I also don't believe the statement "They don't need to
know anything about the component model", that really depends on how
flat a pedestal is made for them above everything else. That will
require a degree of fit and polish that has arguably never even been
achieved in Zope 2.

OTOH, all applications have their dirt and its nice to have a rug to
sweep it under instead of just letting it lie all over the house. I also
understand that this is a way to make the learning curve more
approachable.

OTOOH, I want to have Zope 3 ship in a finite amount of time from now.
And one I thing I know I can personally live without is "Active
Content".

-Casey