[Zope3-dev] Calling persistent function

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Jan 22 11:53:06 EST 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 10:17:31AM -0500, Casey Duncan wrote:
> If it were up to me (and it isn't) I would be inclined to punt on this
> until Zope 3.1.

good lord, when will THAT be?
I tend to agree with Jim - SiteScripter is an important class
of users - because I wear that hat sometimes.

>  I also don't believe the statement "They don't need to
> know anything about the component model", that really depends on how
> flat a pedestal is made for them above everything else. That will
> require a degree of fit and polish that has arguably never even been
> achieved in Zope 2.

I'm skeptical too, but it will be hard to know until we have
something to play with.

> OTOH, all applications have their dirt and its nice to have a rug to
> sweep it under instead of just letting it lie all over the house. I also
> understand that this is a way to make the learning curve more
> approachable.

Exactly. Think of a one-man shop working on a smallish dynamic website,
consisting of a single developer who has perhaps built a site
or two using PHP or some such, but who has never used zope 2 or
3 before and has to learn it all from scratch.

Currently, to start zope 3, he'd have to learn python, page templates,
zcml, the component architecture, and existing services to get much of
anything done. At the very least, we should provide an entry
route that doesn't require zcml and requires little (if any)
understanding of the component architecture.  We will need
something equivalent to the z2 API reference.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com