[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 Documentation and Quality Assurance

Brad Bollenbach bradb at bbnet.ca
Thu Jan 22 22:30:06 EST 2004

Le jeudi, 22 jan 2004, à 21:39 Canada/Eastern, Simon Michael a écrit :

> Oh, and I meant to say: a problem then is how to serve both people
> writing/evolving the docs, and people looking for high-quality with a
> certain level of polish, in the same wiki. With time the overall
> quality will rise, but meanwhile we need to help people recognize the
> status of each document and find the more polished/up-to-date ones if
> that's what they need. Perhaps the IsDraft and similar badges help
> here ?

Yes and no.

IsDraft should mean something more along the lines of a conceptual
draft, not another way of saying "this document hasn't been
spellchecked." The only excuse to ever find a spelling mistake in a
document is when it's something a spellchecker doesn't catch (e.g.
"too" instead of "two".)

FWIW, you'll note in the recent (long) thread regarding the new Use
proposal, at least one person (other than myself) was confused by
something that would have been caught by a basic spellcheck. Others
still described the proposal as being too wordy and lacking enough
concrete examples to clearly explain the point. In the end, nobody
understood the proposal clearly except the authors that wrote it. A
significant amount of effort was expended on the discussion of a
document that nobody really understood.

This is something that a documentation QA team would help to address
(because, as mentioned previously, having one or two technical editors
would be a necessary component of any such team.)

The precedent here is, of course, Python itself. PEP's are often
heavily "IsDraft" state. Despite that, I've never seen one that
contained any (obvious) editing mistakes, and in the same vein I find
myself revisiting PEP's from time to time to understand how a certain
(relatively new) Python feature works, so I'm thankful that due
attention is given to their readability when they're written.

Unfortunately, my proposal cannot work without the support of the
people that are producing the documentation, in particular proposals
and other development-related documents, which see the peak of their
usage when they're first released. If trying to keep these high quality
is always a game of catch-up -- instead of authors spending the extra
time up-front to edit and having at least two or three reviewers to
edit it before it's put up for the rest of the world to discuss or
learn from -- the effort to edit and improve them will mostly be spent
when the documents have already been read.

Is any time really being saved by "getting something up quickly" on the
Wiki? Not from my point of view.

--
Brad Bollenbach
BBnet.ca