[Zope3-dev] RFC: ZConfig and other formats for ZCML

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Jan 22 10:21:04 EST 2006

Fred Drake wrote:
> On 1/21/06, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>
>>are really attributes of foo.  In ZCML, this might have been:
>>
>>   <foo
>>      x="1"
>>      y="2"
>>      />
>

> Except this breaks down in the case of ZConfig <multikey> elements,
> which allow configuration like this:
>
>   <foo>
>     x = 1
>     x = 2
>     y = 3
>   </foo>

Maybe.  My thought that this might be handled by
cheating in the sax events. (Or maybe we shouldn't
exactly do sax events.)  In the event that says "here's
a tag named 'foo'", we'd provide a list for the value of
x.  Or we could do separate events for each option.
I think we definately need separate events for top-level
options.

> There are also ways to arrange configuration like this:
>
>   <search-path>
>     directory1
>     directory2
>     directory3
>   </search-path>

Really?  Is this documented anywhere?  Is it used anywhere?

> So the mapping between ZCML and ZConfig isn't entirely obvious to me.

Agreed.  I didn't mean to suggest that it was obvious.  I do think
it's possible.  I expect crafting this mapping will be part of the
implementation excercise.

Another issue is that it seems that it is possible for a ZConfig
configuration file to include configurations for multiple aplications.
At least I think that was an original goal.  I know that, for Zope and ZEO,
a single file is used for zdaemon and application options.  Presumably
an application ignores options it doesn't use, but I don't understand how
this works.

Jim