[Zope3-dev] Re: ZCML bad ;-)

Christian Lück christian.lueck at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Jan 24 13:41:39 EST 2006

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Fred Drake wrote:

>> Are you sure?
>>
>> Perhaps it's reasonable to use a single namespace for all the ZCML
>> directives defined as part of the Zope 3 release.
>

> Agreed.  Let's just do that.
>
>>  What about
>> third-party directives?  Are you saying we don't need to worry about
>> introducing names that conflict with third-party names we don't know
>> about?
>>
>> That sounds short-sighted to me.  We've certainly defined several
>> directives here at ZC, and I'd hate to have to push them all into Zope
>> 3 itself just to ensure we don't end up with name conflicts in the
>> future.
>

> Separate namespaces for separate business entities makes sense to me.
> What doesn't make sense to me is having separate namespaces for every
> subsystem, which is too deep a hierarchy.
>
> Shane
> Unsub:
> http://mail.zope.org/mailman/options/zope3-dev/christian.lueck%40ruhr-uni-bochum.de
>

>From my point of view as someone who is developping web applications
with z3 the 'hierarchy' is a pro. Imagine two libraries: one with all
the books in a alphabetical order, one with a thematic order. I would
strongly prefer the latter one with the thematic order, which is more
structured.
>From a lerners point of view (for example me) the thematic organization
is a pro too: The z3 beginner will probably need the 'zope' and
'browser' namespaces at first. Browsing apidoc zcml namespaces lets your
knowledge grow fast, because you get structured information.

BTW, I think it's a very flat hierarchy, because it is only three
levels: namespace--element--attribute. That's not deep at all. I would
rather use the term structure than hierarchy.

Christian