[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-CMF] Fighting the Zope 2.9 testrunner

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Mar 22 10:49:26 EST 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
>>>  From the old testrunner, which I miss *a lot*, I could ensure I am
>>> indeed running a specific module by doing...
>>
>> Yup, this is one of the things I like least from the Zope 3 world.
>> What happened to proposals and community agreement before inflicting
>> big changes on other people who're trying to help out?
>
> Oh cut the crap.

Hmm, I'm confused by this. If there's a proposal, my bad, point me at
it. If there isn't, well, it's kinda odd to receive abuse for pointing
out that you aren't sticking to your own processes...

> The new test runner tries very hard to be backward
> compatible.

...but misses one of the most common use cases from the old one, and you
didn't seem particularly fussed about fixing this :-S

> This breakage was not intentional. It was a bug.  There is an
> easy work around: just use the -m option.

It can't be that hard to put in some syntactic sugar to support this. I
was going to give it a shot myself but I ran out of time, and I worry
about things like the regex matching the old testrunner used to dowhen
using the missing option.

>> I particularly hate the fact that no real effort was put into
>> backwards compatibility, not to mention those silly weird
>> sort-of-fifty-dots-per-line thing that doesn't actually work.
>
> What the heck are you talking about? What doesn't work?

Here's a literal screen dump:

C:\Zope\2.9i>C:\Zope\2.9.1\bin\python.exe C:\Zope\2.9.1\bin\test.py
--config-file C:\Zope\2.9i\etc\zope.conf --keepbytecode
Parsing C:\Zope\2.9i\etc\zope.conf
Running tests at level 1
Running unit tests:
   Running:
     .C:\Zope\2.9.1\lib\python\OFS\Application.py:598:DeprecationWarning:
The zLOG package is deprecated and will be removed in Zope 2.11. Use the
Python logging module instead.
   ('New disk product detected, determining if we need '
   Ran 63 tests with 0 failures and 0 errors in 6.009 seconds.

C:\Zope\2.9i>

It looks bizarre having that carriage return in the middle of the row of
dots. What's the point of the change that Tres added his patch to avoid
seeing?

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk