[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 without ZODB (redux)

Brian Sutherland jinty at web.de
Tue Apr 10 06:20:58 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 01:49:07PM -0400, Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Thursday 05 April 2007 12:50, Brian Sutherland wrote:
> > Reading this thread made me want to try out some stuff:
> >
> >     http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2007-January/021612.html
> >
> > So I've made a jinty-zodbless branch of the trunk and want to ask for
> > comment on some of the design decisions I've made there before I spend a
> > lot of time writing tests/examples and generally fixing things.
> >
> > The actual change is:
> >
> >     http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-checkins/2007-April/029097.html
>
> I think this looks good. The only concern I have is with the
> term "IResourceFactory", since it already has a meaning in Zope 3. On the
> other hand, this is a very different component, so you should be fine.

Ok, I'm mostly done with what I wanted to do on that branch. I want to
give people a chance to review it (feel free to commit directly to the
branch) so I'll leave it on the branch for about 2 weeks before trying
to merge it to the trunk.

> I think that an added bonus would be to provide a demo on how to hook up an
> ORM  to this new setup.

I added a zodb.app.zodbless module to the branch which is an example of
a non-zodb zope3 app setup.

I probably won't merge zodb.app.zodbless to the trunk because it has
no tests.

As for hooking up an ORM. I'm not sure what is the "right way" to do it.
I'm even not sure about ORM in general anymore. But if I were to try, I
would start with something very similar to zope.app.zodbless and then
register custom traversers/views. The RDB connections would be defined
in site.zcml as global utilities. The ORM gateways would also be global
utilities, but defined in the zcml of the application.

--
Brian Sutherland