[Zope3-dev] Re: zope.viewlet breaking buildout?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Apr 17 09:27:41 EDT 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 9:13 AM, David Pratt wrote:

> The pre-flight is just an idea at the moment. Buildouts present
> constantly changing dependencies as different package releases are
> made. I can see some buildouts getting into the one to two hundred
> egg range. I guess from my perspective, it would be helpful to see
> some sort of globally generated dependency output for a buildout
> (opposed to through each package's setup or the egg info produced).

But dependencies aren't global.  Each script can have a different set
of dependencies.  To find out what these are, look at the generated
scripts.

It might be nice to have a tool that generates a dependency tree from
a working set.  This tool is far more general than buildout and could
be used, for example, with an script or interpreter generated by
buildout.

> I'm also wanting some assurance that a buildout will run to
> completion without fear that a recent package revision or change
> will break it, particularly for deployment. I don't want dependency
> issues to be a factor in killing the automation from executing
> properly - so have been thinking about this in any case. This
> potential exists even if the buildout has successfully run before.
> Many thanks.

For deployment, you're better off specifying versions so you don't
get accidental upgrades at deployment time.  buildout provides a
number of tools for doing this, most notably:

   http://www.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout/1.0.0b23#repeatable-
buildouts-controlling-eggs-used

For greater safety, if deployments are very important to you,
consider building system installation packages from buildouts.  I
create RPMs from buildouts and we then use these RPMs to deploy. I
intend to write up how I've done this, although I haven't done so
yet, unfortunately.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org