[Zope3-dev] Re: zope.viewlet breaking buildout?

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Tue Apr 17 09:13:36 EDT 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2007, at 11:30 PM, David Pratt wrote:
>
>> Thanks Jim. Where is PILwoTk located at the moment?

Hi Jim. Thank you for this.

> http://download.zope.org/distribution/PILwoTk-1.1.5.1.tar.gz
>
>> I'll look to pull it in with a dev egg in the short term in the
>> buildout to satisfy the dependency until this is more widely available.
>
> I have no idea how you would do that.

For code like this that is not in eggs, I create a setup and structure
for it - then store it as a package in vendor sources in svn. I have a
/dev folder in root of my buildout. My buildouts are in svn. I use
svn:externals to bring the package into the /dev folder of my buildout.
I add the package to my buildout like this

[buildout]
develop = .
           dev/some-source-package

When I check it out the buildout and run, a dev egg is made and the
dependency met.

> I don't see how that would work, given that requirements often arise
> from new distributions installed while running the buildout.

The pre-flight is just an idea at the moment. Buildouts present
constantly changing dependencies as different package releases are made.
I can see some buildouts getting into the one to two hundred egg range.
I guess from my perspective, it would be helpful to see some sort of
globally generated dependency output for a buildout (opposed to through
each package's setup or the egg info produced).

I'm also wanting some assurance that a buildout will run to completion
without fear that a recent package revision or change will break it,
particularly for deployment. I don't want dependency issues to be a
factor in killing the automation from executing properly - so have been
thinking about this in any case. This potential exists even if the
buildout has successfully run before. Many thanks.

Regards,
David