[Zope3-dev] Re: z3c.widget(.tiny) widget available to easy_install anywhere?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Apr 20 15:05:23 EDT 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2007, at 1:32 PM, Sidnei da Silva wrote:
>
>>> P.S. Visibility of Zope 3 extensions would be increased greatly if we
>>> could have an overview page per extension on zope.org somewhere. It
>>> would of course include the canonical download link as well. I think we
>>> can accomplish this relatively quickly with a fairly low-tech project,
>>> but we need a volunteer. Anyone?
>>
>> Sort of like cheeseshop? BTW, why aren't the Zope packages on
>> cheeseshop to start with?
>
> Many of the zope packages have been minimally eggified.  I personally
> don't want to see packages appear in the cheeseshop until their meta
> data has been filled out and have documentation that either shows up in
> the cheeseshop or is linked from there.

I think we can make a good 'worse is better' argument here and say that
having *anything* on the cheeseshop is better than having nothing at
all. It's like test coverage - even imperfect test coverage is generally
better than no tests at all. This applies in particular to Zope 3
extensions - I can imagine we want to do a bit more work before we put
the zope 3 core packages on there.

I would therefore encourage people to upload their Zope 3 extensions to
the cheeseshop, even if the presentation isn't optimal. One way to
improve the cheeseshop entry is to get more contributors, and the
cheeseshop is a good way to inform people about the very existence of
the package, and the lowest-barrier way to start using the package in
your own project. I'd already been working with z3c.widget if it'd been
on the cheeseshop, for instance.

[technical reasons why the cheeseshop isn't ideal]

I think the cheeseshop is fundamentally limited in the way packages are
presented. That makes sense, as sophisticated presentation is not really
what the cheeseshop is about. We can get a long way using restructured
text and so on, and I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from
doing this. I would however also like to present Zope packages in a Zope
branded layout, and for large packages, on multiple pages.

Regards,

Martijn