[Zope3-Users] Confused re Fine Distinction btw a View and a Page

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Wed Dec 7 07:01:22 EST 2005

I'm trying to understand how a sequence of pages is handled, as one
example the IAdding (+) view.

I'm running into the TAL use of the terminology:

     @@standard_macros/page
versus
     @@standard_macros/view

Both of those have much of the Zope interface look, just that /page
drops the tabbar (I wish there were an easy way to drop the tree and
login name from /page too).

But then in CMF, seemingly using view/page to mean something else, I have:

     browser:pages
versus
     browser:view

And in the source, we have:

   "Named View w/o Pages"

   "Unnamed View w/Pages"

   "Named View w/Pages"

Obviously a page and a view are not the same thing, but something
hierarchical.  But is such a page still a "view component" or some
appendage of a view?

For adding items:
    +/index.html
    +/action.html

Those are two real browser-pages, one for displaying the form to be
filled in, and one for accepting that form and actually creating the
item.  And some benefit or sharing of data occurs by making those pages
'subviews' of the '+' view but I'm not sure what that benefit is, other
than sharing a few ZCML directives.

And last, in such a sequence of pages, there must be a way to control
the final destination or page displayed after creating that instance.
One Zope 3 book mentions providing a nextURL() method on the view, but
in the case of '+' that would require subclassing.  Is there a less
intrusive way?

Thanks for any pointers to where this is discussed,

-Jeff