[Zope3-Users] Re: Why Zope3

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Aug 28 05:06:17 EDT 2006

Robert Hicks wrote:
> I am looking into the Python arena for some in-house web work. I see
> Turbogears, Django and Zope3 mentioned the most. I am interested in
> knowing what Zope3 brings to the table

This is of course a very general question, one of the kind that opens
cans of worms and starts flame wars :). I'll just give you a few
keywords that you can read up upon and make up your own mind:

Zope 3 has:

* WSGI-compatible object publisher (zope.publisher)

* WSGI-enabled web server (zope.server) and twisted.web2 for server backend

* Object datbase (ZODB) for transparently persisting objects; comes with
load-balancing support (ZEO).

* Component Architecture for making things pluggable very easily
(zope.component)

* XML-configuration language for registering components
(zope.configuration), not mandatory but pretty much standard

* Flexible security architecture with pluggable security policies
(zope.security)

* Good unit, integration and functional testing frameworks (zope.testing)

* XHTML-compliant templating language (zope.pagetemplate)

* Schema engine and automatic form generation machinery (zope.formlib)

* many more core and third-party packages that may already solve some of
your problems. See http://svn.zope.org, for instance.

Zope 3 is:

* ZPL (BSD-ish license)

* soon to be owned by Zope Foundation

* written by mostly by contributors, not just Zope Corp.

* usable in pieces or in whole

> and how well it plays with Oracle (9i).

I have no idea :). If Python has a decent DB-API compatible database
adapter for it, making it work in Zope 3 shouldn't be a great effort.

Philipp