[Zope3-Users] Re: [Zope] Debugging doctests

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Thu Feb 23 12:25:16 EST 2006

I dunno about sucking because they are quite good for documentation,
but I tend to write plain-old unittests instead of doctests when I'm
testing without any pretense towards writing documentation.  If you
test internals of a class in a doctest, the doctest body gets pretty
cluttered, which tends to defeat the documentation-esque-ness of them.

Being able to set a breakpoint in the test body is important for me
too.  I probably could be setting breakpoints once I'm in the
debugger, but it's often easier to just stuff in a pdb.set_trace()
before the line of code that I want to examine.   And putting a set
trace in a unittest is a natural thing to do, because you know the
set trace will only get invoked once during a test run (as opposed to
putting it right in the app code, where it might get invoked "by
accident" through a different test).  Setting breakpoints in unittest-
tests is typically more fruitful than putting them in doctest-tests
for the reasons that have been talked about in this thread.

- C