[Zope3-Users] Re: [Zope] Debugging doctests

Benji York benji at zope.com
Thu Feb 23 13:17:44 EST 2006

Chris McDonough wrote:
> I dunno about sucking because they are quite good for documentation,
> but I tend to write plain-old unittests instead of doctests when I'm
> testing without any pretense towards writing documentation.  If you
> test internals of a class in a doctest, the doctest body gets pretty
> cluttered, which tends to defeat the documentation-esque-ness of them.

Are you talking about doctests in docstrings?  If so, I definitely see
downsides to that use case.  I was talking about doctests in stand-alone
text files.  That's my (and several others) preferred way of using them.

If you /were/ talking about stand-alone doctests, then I have no idea
what you're talking about. :)
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer