[Zope3-Users] Specifying Vocabulary Terms Order

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 12:41:03 EDT 2006

On 7/6/06, Keith Bolton <Keith.Bolton at batescapital.com> wrote:
> It appears that the vocabularies sort their terms in alphabetical order. Is
> there a way to specifically set the order of the terms?

This is a common pattern, but not required.  If sorting is
interesting, there are a couple of reasonable approaches:

1.  Make the vocabulary responsible for the ordering.  This is
reasonable when there's one sensible way to sort the values.

2.  Make the widget sort the data.  This means writing new widgets,
and getting them hooked up properly.  The vocabulary pretty much
requires a specific interface at this point to act as a marker for
widget selection.  This is better if there are multiple reasonable
ways to sort the values, especially if the user might want to switch
between sort orders in the UI.

Clearly, the first option is easier.  I don't know if anyone has
bothered to use the second option.

The same pattern options apply to sources as well as to vocabularies.

  -Fred

"Every sin is the result of a collaboration." --Lucius Annaeus Seneca