[Zope3-Users] searching and relations

Lorenzo Gil Sanchez lgs at sicem.biz
Sat Jul 22 04:47:00 EDT 2006

El vie, 21-07-2006 a las 10:21 -0400, Pete Taylor escribió:
> Lorenzo,
> I've run into a very (very!) similar situation, and ended up writing
> some wrapper/simplification utilities for zc.relationship.
> zc.relationship is wonderfully powerful, but a bit complex.  It's use
> is intuitive once you wade through the 2000+ lines of documentation
> (which is worthwhile reading), but it's a bit intimidating at first.

Ok, I was afraid of an answer like this because in a recent thread I've
read Jim Fulton saying that we are trying to use zodb as a relational
database which is a shame and I think I agree with that quote.

So that's why I tried not to use external packages like zc.relationship
and stick to a plain object model with intrinsic relations modeled as
simple object attributes. The obvious question is: does this allow
powerful queries like the ones I mentioned in my first email or I should
switch and use extrinsic relations for this kind of features?

> I've packaged up my wrapper utilities as a product, and ZPL2.1'd the
> code.  If you'd like it, even just for reference, let me know.  I
> intend to release it more publicly shortly.

Sure! I'm 120% interested in reading your solution since reinventing the
wheel is something I always try to avoid. Thanks a lot for you kindly
offer!

Lorenzo