[Zope3-Users] Re: Getting started with a zope 3 install as eggs

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Nov 5 05:58:13 EST 2007

Jesper Petersen wrote:
> Thanks for your replies Philipp and Brandon,
> Things are more clearly now :) So zopeproject _only_ deals with setting
> up the environment for you, when you run buildout eggs actually get
> installed. And, I don't need zopeproject on my hosting machine at all, I
> just test and develop on my personal machine and when ready, I install
> it as an egg on the host and run it.

Pretty much. Typically, the sandbox that zopeproject generates is
checked in to a version-control system and then deployed on the server,
or on other developers' machines for testing. To "revive" such a
checked-in sandbox (generate scripts, download dependency eggs, etc.),
you'd use buildout. zopeproject is indeed out of the loop at this point.

> Now I have the boring task of converting my old webapp done in 3.3.1 to
> an egg with all dependencies. Is there a way that can aid me in adding dependencies?

Grep for imports. Or use zope.dependencytool or zope.importtool (no idea
what the difference between those is).

> As it is now I see this in front of me..
>
> 1. Look at all imports to see what I need
> 2. Add them in configure.zcml with <include>
> 3. Add them in setup.py

Yup.

> I can also see 'file="meta.zcml"' in some includes, how would I know
> when to specifically include a file or not? Having to look at the zope
> tree for files seems kind of awkward.

zopeproject pretty much gives you the standard set of meta.zcml includes.

> Also, say that I use zope.foo.bar, how would I know wether to include
> zope.foo or zope.foo.bar as a dependency? I could do a simple search on
> pypi for this but it seems kind of time consuming.

Normally you'd only have to include zope.foo.