[Zope3-Users] Re: Zope 3.4 KGS leads to ZODB 3.9dev !?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sun Feb 3 13:12:34 EST 2008

Christophe Combelles wrote:
> Christophe Combelles a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a very simple buildout that tries to use the KGS:
>> index = http://download.zope.org/zope3.4/
>> newest = false
>>
>> And my setup.py has (among others)
>> install_requires=[(......)  ,'z3c.formui']
>>
>> a buildout -vv tells me that :
>>
>> (...)
>> Adding find link 'http://download.zope.org/distribution' from
>> z3c.formui 1.4.1
>> (...)
>> (...)
>> We have no distributions for ZODB3 that satisfies 'ZODB3'.
>> Processing ZODB3-3.9.0-dev-r77011.tar.gz
>>
>> So I get a development version of ZODB instead of 3.8
>>
>> Is there a problem with z3c.formui?
>> Is there a way to tell buildout to *NEVER* use anything else than the
>> KGS,
>> so that it fails with an error instead of deciding what I should use?
>
> Ok for this one, I just have to copy-paste all the versions from
> http://download.zope.org/zope3.4/versions.cfg into the buildout.cfg.

That's quite unnecessary. Just do:

   [buildout]
   extends = http://download.zope.org/zope3.4/versions.cfg
   versions = versions

That way you don't even need the 'index' option.

> But why did the index change in the middle of the buildout?
> If I don't hardcode all the versions, it begins with an index
> ('zope3.4') and changes to another index ('distribution') in the middle,
> so that all subsequent packages are downloaded from that second index.

If you read buildout's message carefully, you'll see that
http://../distribution wasn't added as an index. There can only ever be
*one* index anyway. It was added as a find-links location by z3c.formui:

Adding find link 'http://download.zope.org/distribution' from z3c.formui
1.4.1

As this case points out very well, the locked down index isn't necessary
a guarantee for ending up with a well-defined set of packages. Nailing
version numbers in buildout.cfg (see above) yields much more predictable
results.