[Zope3-Users] Best Practices - Zopeproject Deployment

Christophe Combelles ccomb at free.fr
Sat May 24 11:58:24 EDT 2008

Tim Cook a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> I have a Zope3 project that I started using 'zopeproject'.   I now want
> to deploy this to an SVN server so other developers can checkout and
> work on the project.
>
> After reviewing the zopeproject and buildout docs as well as some
> examples like z3hello I still cannot decide the correct settings for SVN
> admin so that I ignore the correct things and yet still give the new
> developers all of the configuration requirements.
>
> For example I want to included my buildout.cfg so they can get all of
> the dependencies that are not listed in the default one from
> zopeproject. I also want to include my site.zcml.
>
> In my Linux installation instructions I have:
>
> Install Python-2.4.x
>
> Download and install virtual_env
>
> python24 virtual_env SANDBOX
>
> cd SANDBOX
>
> source bin/activate
>
> svn co <url to svn server and application source>
>
> Here is where the problem is though.  Should I have the user install a
> zopeproject here first so that they get the correct paths setup?  What
> should I do about having each user install the correct buildout.cfg
> since it has hard-coded paths to my egg repository?
>
> zopeproject was great for me getting started but now I am not certain
> how to deploy this application since it is an application framework for
> other developers.  I would like to have an 'oship-project' like
> zopeproject/grokproject but that will have to wait I think.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

Hi Tim,

You should start your project with zopeproject --no-buildout, then
commit all the files to the svn. This prevents the buildout-generated files from
being included in the svn. Then your users just have to svn co the project and
launch the buildout to generate the remaining files. The developpers don't even
need to know that you used zopeproject, this is just a buildout at the end.

Christophe