[Zope3-Users] Best Practices - Zopeproject Deployment

Tim Cook timothywayne.cook at gmail.com
Sat May 24 13:20:43 EDT 2008

Hi Christophe,

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe my question is naive?

For background my original zopeproject looked like this below the
virtualenv dir:

oship--
       bin
       develop-eggs
       log
       parts
       src--
            oship (where all the good stuff is located)
            oship.egg-info
       var
       apidoc.zcml
       buildout.cfg
       debug.ini
       deploy.ini
       setup.py
       zdaemon.conf
       zope.conf
       .installed.cfg

Creating a new space using "zopeproject --no-buildout oship" yields
this:

oship--
       log
       src--
            oship (where all the good stuff will be located)
            oship.egg-info
       var
       apidoc.zcml
       buildout.cfg
       debug.ini
       deploy.ini
       setup.py
       zdaemon.conf
       zope.conf
       .installed.cfg

So I want to commit 'oship' as the top level dir whihc will include all
of the above files/dirs?

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 17:58 +0200, Christophe Combelles wrote:

> You should start your project with zopeproject --no-buildout, then
> commit all the files to the svn.

Okay.

> This prevents the buildout-generated files from
> being included in the svn.

Except for the buildout.cfg which is really my question.
I have added some dependencies to this file that are not part of the
normal Zope buildout (Pyparsing,mglob, etc) and it has my system
specific path to my buildout-eggs  (eggs-directory
= /home/tim/buildout-eggs).  Also my site.zcml files will be different
from the zopeproject generated one because it needs to include
directives for the app I am delivering.

> Then your users just have to svn co the project and
> launch the buildout to generate the remaining files. The developpers don't even
> need to know that you used zopeproject, this is just a buildout at the end.

So, I am now thinking that I will have to have instructions in my
installation instructions that tell developers to edit the
'eggs-directory' line; correct?  Also they will need to install buildout
(or zopeproject) and create a project space before doing the checkout?

(I think I am very confused)

Granted that these are developers and it shouldn't be a problem.  I am
just trying to be as black and white as possible since my audience
typically is the Zope developer community and we all know that those
that have no seen the light (or drank the kool-aid) have adverse
reactions to Zopish things.  :-)

I just want to be as transparent as possible for developers and
eventually for users as well.

Thanks,
Tim